Wednesday, July 08, 2009

iMovie Extravaganza!

We've spent the last two classes working on our iMovies and I have to admit, I've had a really fun time working on these. I think video making equipment has always been pretty easy for me to use, and I'd really like to use iMovie again in the future to create more movies for personal and educational purposes. My iMovie I made for IT486 includes a group of pictures I took on my trip to Ireland my freshman year of college. I traveled there with the Pride of the Southland Marching Band in order to march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin. It was a wonderful experience and I would really like to go back to Ireland one day. It's nice that I was able to do this project in 486 because I think I'm really going to be able to enjoy this video and remember all the fun times I had in Ireland that year.




I think iMovie will prove to be especially useful in the field of music education because you can easily use it to create videos which demonstrate instrument holding, posture, and other aspects of playing a musical instrument. And seeing as how audio is a big part of iMovie, it will be good that the kids will be able to see and hear different examples of playing and instruments.

I've created movies before using iMovie, but when I created them I was using the camera built into my computer to record live events. Here's a link to one of my videos. Yes, it is terrible playing, but this was a video taken in the process of myself learning to play the trombone. (definitely not my best instrument!) :) And that's also why the camera is not pointed at my face...I'm fairly ashamed of how bad it sounds, but I guess I shouldn't expect too much when I'd only been playing the trombone for about a week! I've done a number of movies using iMovie before to turn in for playing tests, but I've never used iMovie in the way I used it for this class before.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the "real world" example of multimedia as both a performing arts *instructional* tool and as *assessment* tool. If you can always remember how you felt learning to play the trombone, you will be a most empathetic music teacher! Giving your beginning students opportunities for authentic assesssment (playing tests) using a video camera or some other recording device is such a great example of technology integration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete